Lucy Flint Jewellery

How to care for your silver jewellery



What is 925 Sterling Silver?


Lucy Flint Design uses 925 Sterling Silver, which means that it is 92.5% silver and the other 7.5% are other metals including copper. This makes the silver strong and durable enough to wear as jewellery. This alloy means your silver can tarnish over time, which can happen from a number of different things such as exposure to air, sunlight and from contact with different chemicals.


How to care for your silver jewellery


It's not all doom and gloom, however, you can follow our simple tips to help keep your jewellery looking extra beautiful:


  1. Try not to wear your jewellery in the shower or whilst swimming. Chemicals and cleaning products will cause the silver to tarnish and lose its sparkle.


  2. It's also best to put your jewellery on last when getting ready. Hairspray, perfumes and moisturisers can all tarnish silver.


  3. Avoid wearing jewellery to bed, as this can cause it to bend and get damaged.


  4. When storing your jewellery, try to keep individual pieces separate from each other to avoid scratches.


How to clean my jewellery


We advise not to use a silver dip for your jewellery as the chemicals are extremely harsh and should only be used as a last resort if your silver is completely tarnished. Never use a silver dip if your jewellery contains gemstones as it can strip the colour from them.


For best cleaning results, we advise to use a simple silver jewellery polishing cloth and give it a gentle polish on a regular basis. This should keep it looking extra gorgeous. You can also wash the silver with water and some mild soap, but make sure to dry thoroughly afterwards.


Avoid rubbing gemstones with a silver polishing cloth as it can cause them to dull. To clean your gemstones, we advise gently lightly wiping them with a cool water and a clean cloth.


If you have any tips or comments on cleaning silver jewellery then feel free to share them in the comments below.


Leave a comment